Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So the Gluten-Free Journey Continues...

Day 20 of the Gluten/Wheat Free Diet

Okay, so I've been managing to do quite well thus far, but I really haven't had much time to expand my horizons in the realm of recipes just yet. I did make some gluten-free muffins from a mix, but I'm believing that there are tastier ones out there - I just haven't found them yet. I love to bake, so I'm hoping that when I'm home with the baby I can incorporate some baking into my daily routine. Giving up bread wasn't a hard thing to do, because I have avoided bread most of the time since the last time I tried to go wheat free. It will be hardest when I bake brown bread for others, because I must admit, I make a pretty good loaf of brown bread...and it tastes so good with molasses...

I confess, I gave in and ate some tomato soup while my husband was away. I know!! How could I??? I guess you could call it "the last supper." You see, I LOVE Campbell's tomato soup...but it has wheat in it. Alas, it was the last can, so indeed, it was my last Campbell's tomato soup supper. *sigh* On the brighter side, I did find some non-contaminated oats at the Health Food Store. I was extremely excited and showed my husband the box this morning with admiration. You see, I love eating oatmeal for breakfast, and I did not want to give it up. Cream of rice just isn't the same. So today I returned to oatmeal, and all is well in Sarah's breakfast land. Now I can make some granola bars...Glory Hallelujah!

Shortly into my new eating regime I had a dream about wanting to eat cake. Those who know me, know I LOVE desserts. There were two types of cakes, a carrot cake (which isn't even my favorite) and a cheesecake (of which I wouldn't be able to eat the crust). In my dream I was trying to justify why I should be able to eat the cakes, but I just couldn't break down and eat them. I was trying to imagine what I would tell my friend Kim - the one who is eating gluten free with me. "But Kim, I just HAD to eat that piece of cake..." I can't remember how my dream ended.

So the eating regime continues. I'm going to be staying in the hospital after the baby is born, and I've never had to stay in a hospital overnight before, but I'm determined to go armed and ready with some good snacks and food (including granola bars).
I think that is key - being prepared in different food situations (such as potlucks). I'm discovering there are many who eat similarly, and they have already sent me some great links to check out. I'll let you know once I've tested and tried some successful recipes!

2 comments:

mom2boys030507 said...

There are really good cake recipes out there, however Betty Crocker just came out with a gluten free cake mix. It is really good - my entire family was liked it and I only cook gluten free for my youngest son. Also if you are wanting cheese cake there is a poduct called S'morables that are gluten free graham crackers. You should be able to find them at a health food store. I will contiue to pray for you on your gluten free journey.

Jo said...

How do you do it!? It must be so hard....