Thursday, April 12, 2007

Teacher Anxiety Dreams and My New Student

Well, last night I had what I refer to as "Teacher Anxiety Dreams." In my first dream, my new student showed up at school as a grown man, taller than me, and I was standing there wondering, "How in the world am I going to handle this one?" In my second dream, my new student came in and he wanted to teach the class. I let him do so and things got out of hand, so I had to try and regain control of the class to which he replied, "This is going to be booooooooooring."

I walked into my class today to find a short 9 year old boy with glasses, and I immediately knew that my anxiety dreams were (as usual) just that - foolish worry over nothing. He is highly intelligent as they told me, and he is as cute as a button. Despite his immaturity during class (not staying on task while working independently in math - stretching and the like, and trying to keep his nose stuck in a book - he's reading at grade 11 level if not highter), I can't help but like the kid and his silly mannerisms. I think the class gets a kick out of him too. He dropped his pencil and it broke somehow to which he exlaimed, "OH NO! My pencil fell apart!" My favorite was when I asked him if his last name was spelled correctly off the top of my head for information on the computer and he said, "Whoa! How were you able to spell my last name so fast?" In some ways his overenthusiasm reminds me of myself at times - of course - I am just getting to know the kid, so as the days go by I'll have a better idea of what I'm in for, but I think I'm in for a treat.

1 comments:

Maria Purviance said...

he sounds like a fun kid.