Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Alone with my Laptop

Somebody must have been praying for me today. As I sat in the midst of a meeting concerning a student who had a major blow out with behaviour last week, I was asked, "Sarah, what are you willing to do concerning this student?" You must understand that after Wednesday of last week, I was struggling with feelings toward this student. I am not at liberty to say everything that happened, but let's just say that I had to lock my classroom door. One thing I can recount is that student snarkily saying, "I hate you Mrs. Canney!" to which I responded, "I love you too!" at this the students found great amusement. I have never been one to hold a grudge, and so as I sat there in today's meeting, the Lord reminded me of my love for this student - one of my own kids who I've invested in this year. I responded to that question,"what are you willing to do...?" with "Whatever it takes." I will do whatever it takes to help this student. I refuse to give up or give in, or say this student is a lost cause. Teaching isn't about me, it's about those kids. Those kids who may get more time with me than with their parents. Those kids who love being at school because it feels safer than home. Those kids who the only hug they may receive that day could be from me. Let's face it. The majority of kids in the system today come from broken families and with that comes a lot of baggage. I know someone was praying for me, because the rest of the day I had an incredible peace. Tuesdays are often hectic for me because I'm on duty, but I was at peace, so I was fine. Tomorrow I have a meeting that will involve administration, the parents and the student. I'm a bit nervous, but I know the Lord will be my strength and my song.

I survived Mother's Day :) I knew I would. I only had one comment about, "Sarah's not on stage. Could that mean she's expecting?" because we had an all men's praise team with the exception of a young lady home from college who led the worship. The comment was a joking one, and I was able to handle it. I managed to hold myself together when all of the mother's stood and I sat. Apart from that I had a woman who was once in my position give me a hug and share some tender words of encouragement. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me. And so I write this not as a "woe is me this is my sob story" but as a praise to the Lord for the work He is doing in me. Some teaching positions have been posted for the fall already, and I am looking into applying for them. I have contemplated getting my Masters, but I really don't know if that's what I'm to do at this time. And so I will pray and wait. My loan will be paid off this week and I have to praise God for his provision and blessing. Weeks like this when I'm overwhelmed with marking that I'm behind on and extra meetings, can be trying, but I know someone is praying for me. I know there are those who pray for me regularly, but God must have really impressed me on someone's mind today. I don't know who, but I can feel it in my heart because of how my day went.

And so I sit here at home alone while my husband is at youth, wishing I could be with him but working away - scanning children's pictures for their fairytale stories that will be published on the computer, lesson planning, marking speeches, contemplating tomorrow's meeting as to what I need to say and just thinking about my life in general - thankful for the prayers of someone who knew that I needed some extra help today to carry me through the week.

6 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

Aww...Sarah, I was thinking about you this past week, wondering how you were doing on Sunday, especially...I'm glad you felt the prayers and I am glad someone you knew shared your position and was able to encourage you that day. I have never been in your position (the annoyingly opposite, actually), so I don't really know how you're feeling, but I can imagine the pain you must feel on Mother's Day. I pray that you will be able to share in Mother's Day with us next year!! Whether it be that you're expecting or cradling a new little one in your arms! God is mighty and mmiraculous, and can work out all the kinks, so my prayer is that those "kinks" are worked out VERY soon! I have faith, Sarah, that you will soon join the realms of motherhood. Keep me posted! Oh, and I got your email, but forgot to respond before my account deleted it (messages more than 5 days old get dumped automatically!). But I did read it, and I meant to respond, but it was the busiest part of my semester! I'm sorry I didn't get to write back!:(

Jo said...

Sarah, I can tell that you are an amazing teacher. You are right to think of your kids the you-might-be-the-most-attention-they -ever-get kind of way. Parents--even Christian married parents-- just don't know how to parent anymore. E.g: I can count on one hand the amount of times I remember being hugged before the age of 14. Most of those hugs were side-hugs from my teachers or a grandmother. A teacher's praise on my paper, or a compliment on how well I did, or a smile, well, even that tiny bit of praise could keep me feeling good and "seen" for months. I remember it all very well. Grade school teachers were very formative in my life. Sometimes it really does take a whole village to raise a child. And YOU are that kind of teacher...the kind who values the little people before to a degree that maybe they didn't realize they were WORTH before. Bravo! Teaching is a world-changing profession, one deserving of enormous respect for the kind of incessant giving and attention it requires. Carry on my friend.

I will be praying for you when I am thinking of it!

Nicole said...

Hello my friend...Know that I understand how you are feeling towards having a baby. Aaron and I tried to have a baby three years ago and nothing. The hardest thing for me during that time was that a good friend of mine got pregnant and wanted me involved in ever part, including the delivery. I even gave her a baby shower. Finally, I got pregnant and lost the baby two week after I found out. I was only nine weeks along. What a loss. It was one of the hardest things I had ever gone through. However, after finally allowing God to be God I finally got pregnant and gave birth to a little girl almost six months ago. I don't know why all of that happened and I know I may never know, but God is in control. And I know that you know that. I don't know if my story helps or not, but know that you are not alone. God has you right where he wants you - will all your other children. I will pray for you. I will pray that God's will will be done and in him timing.

Nicole

Angela said...

Sarah, how wonderful your calling to those children! You are making an awesome difference and I know are touching each one who encounters Jesus' love in you in a special way.
If you got my message via facebook, you know where I'm coming from. I echo Nicole in that when you just let God be God, accept that you are fearfully and wonderfully made, and trust that His timing is ever so perfect, it makes it easier to not understand why life happens as it does. Looking back on it all now, I am so glad I went through those tough years, as I am SOOOO constantly blessed and overwhelmed with gratitude when I look at my little one. I so BELIEVE and have FAITH that YOU WILL experience this joy someday.

Jon and Renae said...

Sarah,
I can't understand how you are feeling right now, but I do have friends who have been and are in your situation in regards to wanting to be parents and I can tell it is tough. I just want to apologize from me and all the women out there who unconsciously or consciously step on your toes. God does have a great plan for Ben and you and the beauty is You're Already Living It! You are part of an eternal world. Thank you for your honesty to all of us. If there are ways we can be of encouragement-or just better friends let us know!

Erskine said...

You are a good kid, Sarah. I'm proud you're my brotha.