Sunday, October 16, 2005

Home Alone

I've been home alone for the past five days. I'm not really a big fan of being home alone.

It started on Wednesday. Normally, I'd be at school, but I ended up sick with the flu, so I was home when my husband headed for Ontario with his buddies Mark and Tim to meet up with Brandon. Ben phoned me that night to let me know he had made it safely thus far and mentioned some sort of tree adventure in Quebec. Because I was sick, I was extra sad when I got off of the phone. After only eating toast all day (bleach) because I lacked an appetite, I went to bed and prayed that the Lord would be my comfort. I woke up twice in the night and was sick to my stomach, but I can honestly say I could feel the Lord's presence as I woke up both times. He was my comfort.

Thursday I was bound and determined to go to school. I still lacked an appetite, but I felt more like myself. I ended up assisting with marking math assessments so I had a break from the classroom. The children missed me and I missed them. I was invited out for supper, but I couldn't eat very much. After I went home to an empty apartment and I cleaned with vigour in hopes of pleasing my husband when he returns on Tuesday. That night I asked the Lord to protect me and be with me once again. This time I slept through the night - rested and refreshed. He was my protection.

Friday I had a great day at school. Once again I came home to an empty apartment. I was invited out for supper, and I had a great time of fellowship. Then I went home and baked goodies for my husband (he likes his goodies frozen), so when he returned he'd have a treat (other then seeing his wife of course). Ben phoned me and filled me in on the amazing conference he's enjoying with his friends. He went to a marriage and ministry seminar and said we'd discuss some things when he returned. That night I went to bed with a heart aching for my husband, but I asked the Lord to hold me and to be with me through the night. I woke up feeling rested. He was my strength.

Saturday I did school work all day. In the evening I went to a Harvest Supper at the church which turned out to be a Pastor Appreciation thing as well. I sat at a special table with my sister and her husband (who is the Senior pastor at our church) and their two little girls while people said nice things about us. It was touching, but it was so hard without Ben there. He really could've used some of those nice words of encouragement. I went home to an empty house, and opted to go to Fort Fairfield to get some gas and visit my friends Wes and Melinda who are also in ministry. Then I returned to Perth in the pouring rain. That night I asked God to keep watch over me. I woke up at 5:00 AM to the sound of thunder and lightening, and so it wasn't long before I just lay there and had a talk with God. He was my company.

Today I went to church. Someone else was leading the singing. I got to have a break. I was feeling good until someone asked me if I've been sick because it looked as though I've lost weight. I told them I was sick this week, but I hadn't lost weight. I felt upset, disappointed. It was only a few weeks ago that someone at school told me I looked really good and that I must take good care of myself by eating right. Then I walk into God's house and something is said that makes me think, "Do I look sickly?" (Just so you know, I've been commented to about my weight - or apparantly "lack there of" before). I talked to my sister and then later my Dad about this, and they encouraged me. Now I sit here, lonely. I'll have a long talk with God about this when I'm ready. Most likely that'll be tonight after church. I'll ask him to take away what I'm feeling, and to fill my heart with understanding. He'll smile, as He always does, and say to me, "Sarah, you're beautiful the way you are. I made you just the right size for just the right reasons. Don't let Satan take those comments of concern that people offer and twist them to make you feel downhearted. You are a child of the King. Hold your head high." And so, he'll be my source of encouragement and peace.

I've been home alone for the past five days...or have I?

God and I have been home together for the past five days. It has been good for our relationship. It has reminded me that He is my first love. I'm still lonesome for my husband, but I'm so thankful that I have God to keep me company.

9 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

hey sarah....well, i hope you can tough it out. someone asked me if ben and everone would stop in on hte way back. my response? "uh...i'm quite sure they'll want to get straight home."

Jo said...

wow sarah. your blog is so "real." props to you for authenticity!! and i mean, major props to you :) see, this is why i miss ya.

Heather Durkee said...

Hey Sarah,
Isn't it weird when your hubby is gone? I know that Adam will be going to Dallas, TX and also Indiana for a trip. I am not looking forward to those times. I am thankful we have a security system because I sleep better with that on when he is gone. I think I will plan to stay with my good friend Stephanie when he is gone. Adam also gets the "Do you eat???" at church. They mean well, but sometimes it hurts. Its the same when they say, "Have you put on some weight?"

Ben will be home soon! I also appreciate your realness.

Sarah said...

Thanks everyone!

I have to tell you - I went to church and the Lord took my heavy heart from me. I went home encouraged. I think I better understand where that person was coming from who asked about my weight. Ben phoned and the Lord has been doing some really awesome things in his and the the rest of the guys lives. I can't wait for him to tell me all about it.

AP - the guys are driving to Ontario tomorrow. Of course I'm sure Brandon will be anxious to see his wife, but you never know. You might get to see them again. (I never thought to ask Ben when I was talking to him.)

Jo - thanks. I miss you too!

Heather - Let me know when Adam is going away and I'll think of you extra during that time.

Liz said...

Hey Sarah!

Thank you so much for sharing your heart. The week has been tough at times, but the Lord has been faithful, as always to see me through. He is so good! I too am looking forward to hearing all about what He's done in the lives of the boys this week. Can't wait wait until tomorrow!

Sarah said...

Thanks Liz! I bet you and Emily are both excited about seeing Mark tomorrow. Only one more sleep till we see our guys!

Angela said...

Hi Sarah,
I stumbled upon your blog and was really blessed by your latest post. It does seem like God constantly uses those times of seperation to draw us closer to Him and remind us that our true dependency is on Him!! I felt wiht you as I read your post...I've shared those same feelings.
Love,
Ang

Lor & Josh said...

Sarah, that post was beautiful. When I read the line at the end "I've been home alone for five days, or have I?" I got chills everywhere. You have reminded us that our God is REAL and He is personal and cares about the tiniest details of our hearts. I am so glad He was your comfort, your company, and your First Love. He is good to meet us when we need Him most.

Sarah said...

Thanks gals! It was refreshing to hear from you both!