Thursday, October 06, 2005

Stories from the 3rd grade

Today was pajama day at school. I thought for sure that the students would be super-excited and hyper active - ready to give me a run for the money (that, I might add, I'm not making but currently PAYING for this opportunity). I turned out to be very surprised. I think the pajamas actually put them (at least for the better part of the day) in a "mellow" state because they were so comfortable. One little guy had snakes and frogs all over his jammies. Too cute.

There's another little guy in the class who is so funny and adorable, I could practically take him home with me (although after awhile he'd probably tire me out). He smiles a lot, and he's so full of energy. I know you're not supposed to have favorites, and there's something about each one of my students that I love and appreciate, but I just have to let you in on some of the things this little guy has done:

1. While learning about the Continents in Social Studies, he asked "How do people in Antarctica keep from falling off of the world if they're at the bottom of it?"

2. He snuck a grasshoper into school after recess and put it in a zip-lock bag with his grapes in his desk. At this time I was still observing, and I had no idea that he had it. A little girl came back to tell me, and sure enough, I stood up to see him peek in his desk, make the grasshopper hop, and then sit back up to listen to my cooperating teacher. Needless to say, he had to set the hopper free, and we had a good laugh about it.

3. We're learning about seeds in Science, and he told me that he planted some apple seeds at home in hopes that an apple tree will grow. He said to me, "Mom said it is my responsibility to look after it and water it."

4. One day, during indoor recess, he was making armpit noises. I said to him, "You're not allowed to do that in here." He told me that he could do it outside at recess time, but I quickly said, "That's outside. In my classroom there are to be no armpit noises." (Inside I was laughing because it really was kind of amusing to see. LOL). The next day while I was checking homework he said to me, "Mrs. Canney, my mom told me that I can't make armpit noises at home either." I said, "I'm right there with her." "What does that mean?" he replied. To which I responded, "It means that I agree with her."

5. He is an intelligent kid, but he has a tendency to rush while doing his work. For reading logs, we give the kids letter grades. He said to me, "My dad said that if I ever get a "C" again on a reading log, he's going to tell you to keep me in all recess."

6. He usually has to write out the talking rules for me or my cooperating teacher at recess everyday because he's such a social bug - he has a hard time keeping his mouth closed in class.

7. I think in some ways, he reminds me of Ben - as strange as that may sound.

Oh, and I have to tell you about a tall tale that another little boy told us in class one day. While talking about cows, he told the class that he rescued 160 dairy cows from a cornfield maze with his dog. Priceless.

6 comments:

matthew said...

haha, he does sound like ben :)

My nephew just had his first day of pre-k and came home with a fantastic story of him putting out a blazing fire and saving all the children.

Rachael said...

LOL...kids are Great! My bro recently told me a story. They pray before they eat, so Tony asked the kids whose turn it was to pray. It ended up being Kerrington's turn. She's in grade one. I guess, she folded her little hands and clasped them to her chest and just started talking to God like he was the most precious thing in the world. Afterwards my sis in law said "its too bad we can't all pray as sincerely as her at times"...and I have to agree. Kids are "real"...aren't they?

Heather Durkee said...

I love working with children also. They are so humourous at times and they keep you on your toes. Your student seems like he likes to have a lot of fun!

Jo said...

Hilarious! I love it. Keep remembering those moments!

Kate Patterson said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know I enjoy your posts very much! Anyways I pray you have a wonderful day in the Lord! - Kate Patterson

Sarah said...

Hey Wanda,

I delivered the message to Dad. He was anxious to hear how you were doing.

Kate,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be sure to check out your blog.