Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Return of the Hubby

Ben returned home yesterday, and I was so thankful that God brought him safely back to me.

We decided to go to the gas station to get some munchies and then curl up on the couch so he could fill me in on his incredible trip with Mark, Brandon, and Tim. Sure enough, we walk out of the apartment, down the steps, and to the car only to discover...we BOTH left our keys IN the apartment. Now this would normally not be a problem as we have a spare key (which I might add we invested in after Ben had locked himself out of the apartment on numerous other occassions - LOL), but Ben had used the spare key to get in as I had been out while he returned home, and he didn't put it back in its "safe place." What to do? What to do? My heart sank as I pictured us spending our evening trying to get back in the apartment. Then a wonderful idea came to me - the window in the living room has a cable going through it, so Ben could easily open it if he had a ladder to climb up to it. (For the record, Ben loves heights, and I'm learning to love them for his sake.) So that's what he did! Phew! The evening was now back on schedule.

Later, as I sat on the couch listenig to Ben share about his experience, a part of me envied everything that I felt I missed out on, but then the thought occurred to me. He needed to be there without me. He needed to be with his brothers in Christ in order for the Lord to teach him what he needed to be taught at this particular point in his life. Apart from each other, God was able to have our full attention and show us what we needed to be shown. Although my experience at home with God seemed to me to be small in comparison to what Ben experienced, it was what I needed. Both Ben and I have made changes in our lives since we've been apart. Now together, those changes will enrich our marriage and enrich our ministry.

Ben returned home yesterday, and God and I smiled.


3 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

Awesome! I am glad your hubby is back. Time away can be good for the marriage. Even though it always sucks, I have often looked back on that time as a growing time. I was in NY for a month taking care of my gma and I grew so much with the Lord. I was glad I was back, but the Lord used it.

Jo said...

and Jo smiled too. :) glad for you and for what you learned and for your fun times with your man.

Rachael said...

Awww. You know what Sarah. You give me hope that there is such a thing mushy gushy love. I love hearing about your relationship because it is what I want in a future relationship. That whole love thing, but also the whole respect thing. Respect is crucial isn't it? Anyways..some day I will blog about how proud I am of my hubby...and the goo will be found...ha.