Monday, October 24, 2005

My Stupid Hair Dilemma




I have this constant issue with my hair. I can't just keep it one way - you know - short or long.

If you were to look at pictures of me all through grade school and college, my hair styles were constantly changing. In fact, when someone watched the PowerPoint for our wedding they joked, "Look, it's Ben with a different woman every time!"

I get my hair cut, and then I wish it were long, so I grow it out. Then I wish it were short, so I get it cut. Then I regret getting it cut after working so hard to grow it out. And so, my stupid hair dilemma continues.

My husband says I look beautiful both ways, but he prefers my hair short. The funny thing is, he "fell" for me when it was long, and then when I first got it cut in high school (and it wasn't half as short as it is now), he didn't know what to think!

My best friend Amanda likes my hair long.

Someone in my church apparently likes my hair tucked behind my ears because otherwise, my face looks "long and drawn out" - (yeah, that's a nice classic comment I want to remember).

I've tried to evaluate the pros and cons of having short hair and long hair. Perhaps I'm just being stupid. In fact, this post contains nothing profound. It's a vain post, a stupid post, about my hair dilemma. Why can't I just decide what I prefer and leave it that way?

It's funny really, how hair can change a person's appearance and how people all have their own preferences when it comes to hair.

It could be worse. I could be bald.

And so, my stupid hair dilemma continues.

15 comments:

jamie said...

Sarah,
I think your a beautiful woman of God no matter what! The hair short or long doesn't change that. Hope you have a great week!
Jamie

Rachael said...

I too am thankful I am not bald! Yet I am constantly unsatisfied with my hair as well. Arrgh! See hair can truly make or break a woman (i think). I've been told that when I wear my hair up I look 16. I wear my hair down and I look 22 (I'm 27). There's the whole what looks best on me, and the whole it can't take too much work factor as well. Sheesh...being a woman is not always a very simplistic life is it?

Jo said...

i think most women have this same dilemma sarah. i do! you look great both ways. long hair makes you look younger; short hair is more "professional." just depends on what you are going for. short hair shows the nape of the neck which is always a nice feature, but long hair blows in the wind.....

hmmmm.....can't win.

Aaron Perry said...

when giving no effort to my hair during seminary (i can email photos to show), i was amazed at how much work longer hair could be. it takes longer to wash; it doesn't always do the same thing; sometimes it just goes flat. being a guy, though, 1) most people didn't care; 2) i could toss on a ball cap--and did about 60% of the time; 3) only had to endure scolding looks/comments from about 5 people over the years. all this to say, well, nothing really.

NaomiB said...

I can honeslty say you look great both ways. I think sometimes we just want what we dont have. So whenits long we want it short. and vice versa. And the comment about long and drawn out, thats typical "talk" of the lay person about the Pastors wife, some people!

Liz said...

Hey Sarah!

I to can totally identify with what you're going through. I have had many a hair dilemma in my day!I'm actually in the process of growing mine out again, and it's a pain in the bum! I will tell you this though, I do really like your hair both long and short. But if i had to pick one, i would say stay short cause it makes you look, as Jo said, more 'professional'! :)

Sarah said...

LOL - YES! I'm not alone! I'm normal! Thanks everybody. I've received more responses than I would've thought on such a blog.

Jo said...

lol. haven't you learned this truth yet sarah?: It's always the silliest, and somewhat frivilous posts that get the most comments in blogdom. Welcome to reality!!

matthew said...

I agree with ap that long hair is way more work than i expected, but it is worth it b/c i love shaking my head really fast with long hair

Jo said...

ha. matt and ap, you know so very little of the troubles of long hair until it's been past your shoulders. so little....humf. wouldn't you agree sarah?

Sarah said...

Yes and Amen Jo.

You know, there's something else I neglected to mention, and maybe the guys could answer this one. Why is it that so many men love long hair on women? I mean, there are some men who like short hair on women (very few that I've met) but some are like "die hard" long hair lovers. And yet, they don't know what it's like to live with it. What's with that??

Robin said...

Funny that your admittedly write this post as something completely useless and superficial and you have TONS of people respond. This is the secret to blogging, isn't it?

Sometimes i miess my long hair...

matthew said...

I have no general rule regarding the attractiveness of hair length. Hair must be considered on a case by case basis. In your case, I would probably agree with Ben.

Richards' said...

Wow, hot topic! I just wanted to say hi really, but I will say a quick word about hair :)

Two days after my wedding, my husband told me that it was to hot outside to have my hair down to my butt, because I always put it in a pony tail. I let him pick out a style, and I got it cut. Now, I am growing it back, because I miss my long hair! I have never liked having really short hair, but at least to my sholders. You look great both ways! You just have a that special look :)

Sarah said...

Thanks Matt - case by case basis. See, now that makes sense. I had to ask, because some guys are really adement about women having long hair. Case in point: In highschool, when I got my hair cut to my shoulders, one of my guy friends wouldn't talk to me all day (really mature). Another man I know worries that when his wife goes to get her hair trimmed that she'll come home with it as short as mine because he loves long hair so much. I'm just glad Ben has an opinion, but he lets me do as I please with my hair.